Walking this Earth may have no real meaning but we're all here.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Site Specific Text

I had troubles at first to find an original idea and I really didn’t want to do something I thought someone else would do. I came up with the idea from my ‘face of answers,’ he’s a face that I use to invent and help express ideas. I actually drew him in Creative Writing but since then I carry him in my wallet so if I need a little advice I just take a look at him and he reminds me to think outside the box. Anyways my site specific text was not only my work; I used lines from all my classmates’ poems off their blogs. I took random lines that I thought by themselves may inspire someone as they inspired me. It took me about seven hours to write all the notes out, I used a whole pack of sticky notes and two roles of tape and a couple of hours of what would have been sleep. Below is an example of a yellow sticky note (I don’t have a camera)

                         Creative Writing

                     "Imaginary thoughts adroit and putrid
                      In which are sometimes saved,
                      Sometimes stored away"
                      Please Recycle!



I positioned them randomly on near one hundred cars, located at the Save-On-Foods parking lot and Orchard Mall parking lot; which was a great deal easier because a greater number of cars and a vast majority of people took longer inside the mall.

People that randomly stared at me while I went around from car to car must have been stereotyping me, or measuring me up, to whether or not I was searching for an open car to steal. It seemed odd, and I was a little bit worried that they may phone the cops so I tried to stay out of sight from people as best as I could. There was one elderly lady that actually followed me over the course of three cars. So I approached her which seemed to scare her, I explained to her what I was doing and showed her multiple sticky notes. I even went as far as asking her what she thought of one. The above note is the one I showed her, she answered “well I don’t seem to understand what the words are asking me. Does it have something to do with space? Or wait treasure? What does it mean?” I told her about Mr. Kennedy and that it can mean anything that the reader likes. So I gave it to her in hope that she may ponder of the lines of the poem a little more.

I positioned some of the notes on the cars at the back, on the passenger window, rear passenger windows but mostly on the driver window depending on the vehicles. I did this to distort the time the viewer may see them or just in case the vehicle would contain a passenger during sometime. For example at the back of the car, so the reader of the note may read it at home or in some location other than the mall or grocery store parking lot, In hope that they would think about the note in any way possible. Like how long it has been there, what it means or what does it mean to them. If the reader thinks nothing of the note that’s fine too, as long as a handful of the notes actually get the attention I hoped. People have different intentions of junk left on their vehicle, some throw it away without any thought but some read them and use their brains. Hopefully that is.

I wrote these notes for the same reason I’m taking creative writing and that is to think about anything I normally don’t think about. The lines are for that soul purpose, I want others to put some thought about something that doesn’t matter so much too them. Maybe escape the mind set of getting home and cook dinner, evade the usual routine an average person settles into when nothing else is happening. I think there is too much each individual doesn’t know about everything. I also wrote these for the idea of inspiring unfinished thoughts. For me I vision things which help, reading some creative words or seeing a picture is what triggers special ideas. If I (or my class) can help do that for someone else then I think that is A plus.

Creative writing is a class I would recommend to anyone, people in business may have developed better skills in marketing cause they can think like other business people don’t, or painters/ artists, the list is endless. Creative writing expands the thought process and allows you to be creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment